Bluff your Way to a Victory
No matter which game of poker you are playing like all poker varieties, it will be a game of luck and strategy. You may be holding a fantastic hand, but what if the other player has the same hand, or better?
Your bluffing skills may turn around a non winning hand if you can make the other players think that your hand is better than it actually is. Then, you may bluff your way to a winning situation. Bluffing is one of the most used strategies in poker because it has proven its effectiveness to those who have mastered it.
Are you a master bluffer? If you are not, here are some bluffing tips:
1. Study the betting pattern of the other players. The other players may be doing the same thing; you should put up a front that is hard to figure out. Once they do, you are in trouble.
2. Tailor your bluff according to the skills of the other players. Players who are inexperienced may not be able to notice your bluff and therefore, fail to act as you expected.
3. If there are signs that another player wants to fold, place a bet big enough to be the reason they are hoping for. That is one less player against you.
4. Timing is very important. Try to guess your opponents’ hands through their actions. Are they folding, calling, or checking? Don’t make hasty decisions.
5. Expert players know that other players are less inclined to call a bluff if the bet limits are up. If the bet limits are low, there is more likelihood that another player will call your bluff, choosing the right situation when you are bluffing will be advantageous.
6. It helps to know the skills of the other players and be careful how the stronger ones react to your bluff.
7. Don’t repeat your recent bluffs with the same playing group. It is most likely that they will remember and see through your bluff.
8. Have varying betting patterns. Don’t be predictable.
Poker experts consider bluffing as an art. It takes practice to perfect a bluff. Don’t be frustrated with the bluffs that failed but improve on them instead. The best teacher here is experience and exposure to many kinds of players.
Related Reading: Tips for Bluffing Online
Filed under:General -